Dr Shehzad Saleem
Dr Shehzad Saleem (Urdu: شہزاد سلیم ), born in 1966, is an Islamic researcher. He has a Bachelors in Electrical Engineering from UET Lahore, Pakistan and holds a Ph.D. in the History of the Quran from the University of Wales, UK.
Dr Shehzad Saleem studied religion under the tutelage of Javed Ahmad Ghamidi. He remained Associate Fellow from 1992-2008 and Fellow from 2008 till date of Al-Mawrid, A Foundation for Islamic Research and Education, Lahore, Pakistan (www.al-mawrid.org).
Dr Shehzad Saleem has authored books on Islam, Quran, Hadith and Character Building. He has also translated some works of famous Islamic scholars and exegetes Amin Ahsan Islahi and Javed Ahmad Ghamidi into English.
- A New Economic Framework
- Common Misconceptions about Islam
- Playing God: Misreading a Divine Practice
- Islam and Women: Misconceptions and Misperceptions
- Essays on Character Building, Lessons on Character Building
- Qur’an Workshops on Character Building (including a separate Teachers Guide)
- Lessons on Character Building
- Selections from the Qur’an
- Selections from the Bible
- Selections from the Hadith
- Introduction to the Quran: Insights from Javed Aḥmad Ghamidi
- A Treasury of Prayers from Quran and Ḥadith
- The Good Human (Essays on Self-Improvement)
- Modern Challenges to Parenting: Reflections of a Concerned Parent
- History of The Qur’an a Concise Study
- History of the Quran: A Critical Study
- From the Core of My Heart (poems)
- پيغمبر انسانيت کےاخلاق و عادات
He has also compiled a modular textbook on Qur’anic Studies, which was taught by him to graduate students (1999-2001). The textbook is available in course format at www.studying-islam.org.. It comprises course topics as: Revelation of the Qur’an, Theme of the Qur’an, History of the Qur’an, Arrangement of the Qur’an, Language of the Qur’an, Interpreting the Qur’an.
He has translated some works of Amin Ahsan Islahi (d. 1997) and Javed Ahmad Ghamidi into English. These include:
- Al-Islam (Islam: A Concise Introduction)
- Volumes 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 of Tadabbur Qur’an.
- Selected Essays of Javed Ahmad Ghamidi
- Mizan (Islam: A Comprehensive Introduction)
- Al Bayan (Annotated Qur’an translation)
Questions & Answers
His answers to various questions received about Islam can also be accessed at the Renaissance website Here.
- Dr Shehzad Saleem is the Founding Editor of the monthly Islamic journal, Renaissance which was initiated in 1991. In 1999, its website www.monthly-renaissance.com. was launched. Besides regular issues, special issues on Islam and Non-Muslims: A New Perspective, Islam and Women, Political Directives of Islam, Economic Directives of Islam, Understanding Islamic Punishments and Collection of the Qur’an have been published.
- He founded an Islamic Query Service (IQS) in 1997-2003, an email based service meant to answer questions on or about Islam. By 2003, more than 3000 questions had been answered by this service.
- In 1998 Dr Shehzad launched a comprehensive distance learning program for Al-Mawrid . It was well received in an era where online religious education was not that common.
- He also launched the Studying Islam www.studying-islam.org. website in 2003, which offers online courses on Islam in English and in Urdu. Currently, there are over fifteen thousand registered students from around the globe and about 50 courses on Islam in English and Urdu.
- He also set up websites about the life and works of the Qur’anic scholars Hamid Uddin Farahi www.hamid-uddin-farahi.org. and Amin Ahsan Islahi www.amin-ahsan-islahi.org. in 2010 and 2004 respectively
- Dr Shehzad launched a website Tadabbur i Qur’an www.tadabbur-i-quran.org on the exegesis of Amin Aḥsan Iṣlaḥi (1904-1997), a Qur’anic scholar of the sub-continent in 2013.
- He also founded a website on the Biblical scholar Abdus Sattar Ghauri (1935-2014). www.abdus-sattar-ghauri.org. in 2014
Dr Shehzad Saleem has lectured in the US, UK, Canada, Australia, Singapore and Pakistan. Some important topics include:
- Critical History of the Quran
- Misconceptions about Women in Islam
- Interfaith dialogue
- Selected Biblical Verses
- Question on the Quran by Serious Students
- Misconceptions about Islam
- Muhammad (sws): The Misunderstood Prophet of Islam
- Marriage and Married Life
- Basic Morality
- Islam and Islamic Welfare State
- Misconceptions about Divorce in Islam
- Misconceptions regarding Jihad of the Companions of the Prophet (sws)
- Imbalanced Religious Attitudes
- Intellectual Freedom and Critical Thinking
- Challenges faced by the Youth of Today
- The Mind of a Muslim Militant
He has also conducted several activity-based Quranic Workshops for adults and sessions on Character Building and Personality Development for teenagers. Topics include:
- Pride and Arrogance
- Remembering God
- Civic Sense
- Kindness to Parents
- Moral Courage
- Showing Off
- Sinful Speech
Special Area Of Interest
Dr Shehzad Saleem recently (2018) completed an eighteen year research work on the History of the Quran, a part of which constituted his doctoral thesis (the thesis portion is available Here).The work addresses some nagging questions related to the revelation, collection and transmission of the Quran. These questions include narratives found in our legacy on the alleged incompleteness of the Quran, scribal errors found in it, its variant readings, chronology of its compilation, order of the surahs, and manuscript studies.